The past few days have been interesting and stressful. After an at home oxygen test, the results show that Dakotah has a specific pattern of where her levels drop. While the drops are quite drastic, they don't last long. And a few times her heart stops/skips beats. This happens while she is asleep and awake. The doctor said that her body is able to recover quick enough so she ordered oxygen for the nighttime, hoping that it will help with those dips and the air flow might also help stimulate her to breath. She said it wasn't bad enough to be too worried, but "I'm ordering oxygen so your baby lives during the next two weeks" doesn't sound so encouraging to this mommy. She wants Dakotah to be seen by another specialist who works at Primary Children's. He didn't have anything for a few months. BUT he does clinics once a week at the U of U hospital and agreed to see us there in 2 weeks. So for the time being, she is on oxygen at night and I am supposed to watch her during the day and gently shake/tap her when she stops breathing or her heart weirds out. I must admit it is quite stressful. I am so grateful to my mom who has been there to talk to and offer support and insight. And my friend who came over and helped hold Dakotah so I could just take a shower. (that darn skunk!) lol
I figure it isn't normal for a mother to feel guilty and scared to leave her sleeping baby alone in a room. That is usually a huge celebration. But this morning, as I was trying to get ready for the day, Katie comes running out of my room (note: every time she goes in there she tries to wake Dakotah up by pulling blankets off her and hugging her and kissing her and it always -unfortunately- works) with a big smile saying "hey mommy! I touched Dakotah and she didn't wake up!" AHHHHHH!!!!!!! She was fine, but I am sure MY heart skipped a few beats!
We are trying not to worry too much. With the oxygen results there are other possible diagnosis: brain, heart, tonsils, ect. I am all for tonsils. Or a central nervous system immaturity that she can outgrow. We truly believe that she will be ok and it wont be a big deal. And obviously, it isn't if she is not in the hospital. I hope the doctor is over-reacting. (come on, you never hint at death in anyway to a parent you are not sending to the hospital) It is kind of hard to see her in distress and have to shake her or tap her and go from this red faced stiff baby to a relaxed happy baby. Night and day difference within a minute.
I am so grateful for all the prayers on her behalf. I know that they are sustaining not only her, but the rest of us. I believe that these prayers are what will help her the most.
Minus the few seconds long scares, she really is a happy, social, chunky and strong baby! She laughs and coos, She holds her head up. She tries to mimic facial expressions. She loves to cuddle and dance. She is amazing!
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear that Dakotah is having these health problems. What can I do to help? I can only imagine the worry and stress you have been under, and I am sorry I haven't been there for you. You and your family will be in my prayers daily, and please let me help out in some way. You are a great mom, you can see it by how happy Katie is, and by the sweet person she is. You're doing an awesome job!
ReplyDelete